15 July, 2014

Second innings...

When I was a child, I remember, all my friends would claim to want to be, doctors, engineers, soldiers, policemen/women, teachers, etc, when they grew up. But I always only wanted to be a 'Mamma', ever since I can remember.
I never saw myself as anything else. Grew-up, studied, worked hard, for years, like everybody else. But every time anyone asked me, where I saw myself, five years hence, I always lied and told them that I wanted to be successful at what I wad doing, and at least, five levels-up the corporate hierarchy. While honestly, I only wanted to have my own child.
When I was a teenager, I had decided that I didn't want to work, for at least 4yrs, after I'd had my child. That I didn't want to leave my baby with anyone else, with questionable hygiene standards, or regressive fundas, and even more so, with someone who wouldn't really care for my child.
Also, I was one of the kids, who didn't even know, which stream to opt for in 12th/high school. I took the subjects that interested me the most. But still knew nothing of which course to apply for in college. Long story short, I studied the most coveted genetic subjects, at the most respected college, I could get into. After that, I worked at the most respected companies that I could find. Changed career paths, when I started losing interest in the first field. Took up highly demanding jobs, with insane working-hours, when the 'get married' pressure started going berserk. Happened to meet my Mr.Right there. Got married. Changed career path again, as I didn't want the insane work-hours and travels any longer. So, took up the first job offer that came my way. Since, I still knew nothing of my true calling, career-wise.
I still knew that in my case, whichever career path I took, would take a backseat for half a decade, while my peers climbed up the corporate ladders. So, I never took my career seriously. Did every job earnestly and worked hard and grew at office. But I was prepared to drop it all and become a Mommie, when my kid came.
Now, after that magical '4yrs' mark has been crossed, the DD has settled in school and I get these four hours free, while she is there, the only thing that comes naturally to me, is 'writing'. On the positive side, at least I know which career I want to pursue. On the negative, at 35, without any formal training, experience in the field, the only offers that come my way, are the mundane. Travel, fashion, etc. Whereas, the only genre that comes naturally to me, is human-interest, parenting, and related topics.
Ironically enough, if we had career-counselling at our schools/colleges, I would have discovered my love for writing in secondary school itself. Even then, back in the early 90's, I loved writing journals, letters, reviews of movies/tv shows/travels and what not.
I had started blogging in 2002. Even wrote an e-book, which gained quite a readership. But then, I deleted all my blogs when everyone in the world with an email account, seemed to have become a blogger.  Now, each time I try to ask someone for guidance in this career, they tell me to blog.
Therefore, this new beginning. Fingers crossed...S m i l e

No comments: