10 July, 2014

OCD, or being hands-on, or just plain miser

My mum worked, when we were kids. So, I grew up with a nanny. And my only memory of her is when she was sitting in front of me, while digging her nose.
I've seen my sisters' kids' nannies too. And how these skeleton-like young women, would come from there villages. On a year-long contract. To earn money for their weddings. And after that year ended, they would go back home, at least triple their original size. While the babies hardly ever looked like they were getting any bigger. I had heard of enough abuse, thefts, hygeine issues with nannies as it is. I also remember how I hated my nephew's nanny, because the nephew was so attached to her, that he refused to cone to any of us (grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins), even if he saw us, evety weekend.
Once, at DD's playschool, on their Sports Day, I noticed a kid came first in a race. Then beamed back to the spot, where his family was sitting. Both mum and nanny, opened-up their arms, for a hug. That kid ran back to the nanny.
Even with supervised nannies, it seemed like you did everything yourself, after the nannies tried and failed to do anything. Grandparents need their tv, naps, etc.
Giving opium to kids, who won't sleep, unhealthy food, unhygenic toilets, not complete attention were the problems, I realised Daycare centers had.
Which is why, right from the age of 20 or so, I knew, I would take a sabbatical, for at least 4yrs, and then work part-time only, after I had a child. No nannies. No daycare.
My DH hated me for it. Said, it was like going back to cave-times. That we must get at least a part-time help. But I didn't budge. Didn't want the added responsibility of watching a stranger, while they took care of my kid.
Instead, every few months, I bought all the little extras for DD, with the money we saved by not keeping a nanny...car-seat, bouncy-chair, highchair, playyard, diapers, diapers and diapers. I wanted all the comforts, myself, so that I could care for DD and yet not be completely exhaused by dusk, every single day.
Thankfully, it worked for us. And gave us the freedom, opportunity and resources, to be able to bond with our LO, as her sole-companions...S m i l e

No comments: